Goal: Hold on to your tokens until the end to win
Hand out, assign, or make three tokens for each player. Provide each player with the three tokens.
The players place their three tokens in front of them on the table, and receive three cards from the dealer. The rest of the cards are placed face-down on the table and becomes the stockpile.
As the play goes around the table, each player puts down one card. The point total starts at zero and each card adds its card value in points (for example a card of value 5 is worth five points. J, Q and K are worth 10 points) except for certain cards that have special values or meanings:
- A card of value 4 reverses the play, from clockwise to counter-clockwise or vice versa. The card does not add to the total number of points.
- A card of value 9 is a pass. The card does not add to the total number of points.
- A card of value 10 subtracts 10 points from the total number of points.
- King of Spades takes the point total to 99. If the point total is already at 99, the card acts like a pass.
- Ace adds either 1 or 11 points, announced by the player who plays the card.
After each card is played, the player announces the new total to the table and draws a replacement card.
Each player must play a card without sending the total number of points higher than 99. This is very easy in the beginning, but the play becomes more difficult as the game goes on.
If a player cannot play a card without exceeding the points total of 99, the player loses a token and the round ends.
After a round, shuffle all the cards and begin a new round. This process continues until only one person has at least one token left, thereby winning the game.
A player is out of the game when the player is out of tokens.
The player causing the points total to exceed 99 may ask the question on the card that the player put down to cause the points total to exceed 99. The question must be answered by the player with the most tokens. If there are more than one player sharing the title of most tokens, the asking player may choose whom to ask.